Care for Your Hip Hop Jewelry for lasting longer time
What to Avoid When Cleaning Jewelry?
1. Of course, we can use dish soap and even body wash to clean, but you must avoid products that include moisturizers. Those ingredients tend to leave a film, which is exactly what you're trying to remove.
2. Remember not to use paper towels to dry your jewelry, since they can scratch the metal. Instead, use a soft cotton, microfiber cloth or let it air dry.
3. Do not use any household cleaners such as bleach, chlorine, and acetone. These harsh chemicals can break down some of the base metals in your jewelry.
4. Never use any kind of abrasive products such as toothpaste, baking soda, or any powdered cleaners, which can easily scratch metals, particularly gold.
5. Beware of using ultrasonic jewelry cleaners at home. While they do make jewelry sparkle, the machine works by sending vibrations through the water—movement that can cause stones to become loose or even fall out into the machine.
6. We recommend removing your rings or bracelet before applying hand sanitizer, if it contains soft stones like pearls or opals, since the alcohol inside could damage them or dull their shine.
7. Never use any jewelry cleaners or antibacterial soaps for cleaning gold plated hip hop jewelry due to chemicals present in them will tarnish the plating quickly.
How to clean your jewelry? And how often?
1. Gold & Rose Gold Plated
Dipped and coated in real 14 or 18 karat gold. With high quality sterling silver or jeweler's brass as its bass, this is a beautiful and affordable option without breaking the bank. Rose Gold has a mixture of real gold and copper alloy to create it's blushing pink colour.
If your gold jewellery is made with sterling silver, it will tarnish with time.
Always keep gold plated hip hop jewelry away from hard surfaces to prevent scratching and remove before showering or cleaning.
Store your gold plated hip hop jewelry in jewelry box with a velvet inside or wrap it in a soft jewelry cloth that will prevent scratches. Or store this in a soft, cool, dark place in an air-tight packet.
Lightly wipe your gold plated hip hop jewelry with a damp cotton cloth. This will help to take away any dust or dirt from accumulating on the surface and wearing away the gold plating. Use a non-abrasive jewelry polishing cloth and gently rub the gold plated Hip Hop jewelry to restore the shine.
2. Sterling Silver
Sterling Silver is a beautiful and solid precious metal that lasts a lifetime. It oxidises when in contact with sulphur particles in the air and water. Tarnishing is completely natural.
Wearing it often will help prevent tarnishing!
Avoid chlorine water and rubbing with paper products, which can scratch the silver.
Be sure to have a silver polishing cloth handy so you can easily restore its shine. When not in use, be sure to store it in a dark, cool place in an airtight packet, away from light and air to prevent excess tarnishing.
For sterling silver pieces containing stones, pearls and crystals, we recommend using polishing cloth only, as some specific liquid jewelry cleaner can damage some stones.
3. Gold Vermeil
Gold Vermeil means that a item is gold plated over 925 sterling silver. Sterling silver Hip Hop pendants can be gold plated. It is a good way to incorporate the look of gold at a fraction of the cost, especially for hip hop pendants.
You can clean gold vermeil by washing the jewelry in warm soapy water. Use lukewarm water do not use hot it can crack some stones) and a couple drops of non-film leaving dish soap (not antibacterial). Use a soft toothbrush to get into tight places. Rinse and dry with a soft polishing cloth immediately to avoid mineral residue from the water.
4. Gold Filled
Beauty, durability and affordability in one. Made with a thick layer of real 14k karat gold bonded with high heat and pressure over high quality jeweler's brass. Gold filled is much more durable than gold plated and definitely more affordable than real gold. Comes in real 14 karat Rose Gold too.
Contact with water is acceptable. No tarnishing will occur. Store in a cool, dry place out of any direct sunlight.
Always wipe your jewelry carefully with a soft cloth to keep it nice and clean.
The best way to clean in places that a polishing cloth will not reach is to use a small pan that will hold about a quart of water and line it with aluminum foil.
Add hot water and a tablespoon of Tide washing powder (not liquid or with bleach) and stir. Place your jewelry in the solution for about 1 minute and rinse with clean water and air dry.
If you have a build-up of dirt in hard to reach places, just put a little dish washing liquid in a bowl of water and soak overnight. This will keep your hip hop jewelry clean.
5. Surgical Steel
316L surgical steel is one of the approved grade of stainless steel to be used in healed piercings. Tarnish proof and durable so you can wear it everyday without worry! We carry gold and rose gold plated items in surgical steel.
Requires minimal care. No tarnishing will occur. Store in a soft, cool place out of any direct sunlight.
6. Solid Gold
We carry real 14 karat solid gold jewellery! Find out more about our luxury collection here.
Durable, tarnish-free. Store in a soft, cool place out of direct sunlight.
How often to clean the jewelry?
The frequency with which you clean your diamond pieces depends on your lifestyle and how often you wear the jewelry. For diamond rings or necklaces worn every day, consider cleaning them at home once per week.
If you wear a diamond piece often, it might also be a good idea to take it in to be professionally cleaned about twice a year.
For pieces you might not wear as often, giving them a good cleaning every three to five months to keep them looking best. That's enough to keep everyday grime at bay and sparkle at its max. Not only will regular maintenance keep your jewelry sparkling, but it will also shorten the cleaning process in the long run.